ZeroWaste Setup (beta)
ZeroWaste is our cost optimization report that helps you quickly identify any possible waste within different areas of your AWS environment. The report is a monthly “health check” report that gives you quick understanding and analysis that surfaces possible areas where you can save money.
There are two steps to set up #ZeroWaste and grant us the correct permissions:
- Master / Simple Account setup via CloudFormation Template – This will enable ZeroWaste permissions for one master payer account.
- Sub-account setup with CloudFormation Stackset – This will enable ZeroWaste permissions for all your sub-accounts, not including your master payer account.
If you have a simple setup with no sub-accounts, you only need to go through
Master / Simple account setup. However, if you have a Master Payer Account AND sub-accounts, we highly recommend completing both steps.
To see the full permissions being granted, you can view them here: ZeroWaste CloudFormation Template
To get started with ZeroWaste permission setup, Click See
IAM Configuration Steps to expand all the instructions and reveal the direct link to launch CloudFormation stacks.
1. Click the
See IAM Configuration Steps link to open up the setup modal.
3. If promoted, please login with your AWS master payer account.
RoleName in the CloudFormation stack matches with what’s in CloudForecast and Check off
I acknowledge that AWS CloudFormation might create IAM resources with custom names.
6. Wait a few minutes until
Create_Complete is shown. You can press the refresh button to update status.
7. Navigate back to CloudForecast and look under the status column to confirm setup with the row. There should be a green checkmark in the row this was setup for.
- If you have only have one master payer account/no sub-accounts and/or if you would only like to set this up for only your master payer account, the setup is complete.
- Continue on if you would like to set this up for all your sub-accounts. The following setup process uses CloudFormation StackSet to apply permissions across all your sub-accounts.
Sub-account setup with CloudFormation StackSet
1. Login to AWS Console – Navigate to CloudFormation in your AWS console: Direct Link to AWS CloudFormation
2. Choose a Template – Paste in the following under Amazon S3 URL:
Next to confirm.
3. Specify StackSet details – Enter in a
Description. Navigate back to the CloudForecast app and copy the ExternalID provided under
IAM Configuration Steps and paste it in the ExternalID field in the AWS console. This ID is unique to your account. In addition, confirm
RoleName matches with what’s in CloudForecast. Press
next to confirm.
4. Configure StackSet options – Add Tags and update
Permissions confirmation if needed, then click
5. Set deployment options – Confirm that
Deploy to Organization is selected and select the region of your choice.
6. Review – Review your settings and confirm sure
RoleName matches with the
RoleName in the CloudForecast app. Check off
I acknowledge that AWS CloudFormation might create IAM resources with custom names and press submit.
7. Wait a few minutes until
Create_Complete is shown. Since this is being deployed across all your sub-accounts, it can take a few minutes for this to be completed. You can also press the refresh button to update status.
8. Navigate back to CloudForecast and look under the status column to ensure confirmation of setup with thw row.